Friday, July 3, 2009

Man Regains Sight After 12 Years, Sees Wife For First Time

·


In an amazing, and somewhat bizarre, medical procedure Martin Jones, who lost his sight 12 years ago when a vat of molten aluminum exploded on his face, got his first glimpse of his wife of four years.

"When I found out there was a chance I would get my sight back the first person I wanted to see was her," he said. And that is exactly what he did, "The doctors took the bandages off and it was like looking through water and then I saw this figure and it was her. She's wonderful and lovely. It was unbelievable to see her for the first time."

"Getting my sight back has changed my life. It is such a precious gift and you don't really appreciate it until it is taken away," Jones explains.

Here is how the amazing procedure was accomplished (via presstv):

The procedure involves removing a tiny section of the patient's tooth, reshaping and carving it to grip the manmade lens which is then placed in its core.

It is then implanted inside an eyelid until it becomes covered in living tissue.

The doctors opted to use a segment of one of Jones' teeth, as they feared a plastic implant could be rejected by his body.

A tissue of skin is then taken from inside the cheek of the patient and placed in the eye for two months, where it gradually grows its own blood supply.

The segment of the tooth - a canine - is finally transplanted into the eye socket, and the patch of grafted skin is then partially lifted from the eye and placed over its new secure base.

The last step is for the surgeons to cut a hole in the grafted cornea to allow the light through.


And what is it like gaining sight after 12 years in the dark?

"I feel fantastic getting my sight back," he said. "I can't really describe it - it's beyond words. I was blind for 12 years and when my sight came back everything had changed."

0 comments:

Save Darfur - Be Involved

Archive

Expedia.com